Friday, January 9, 2009

Artist Statement by Maro Hagopian

TRANCE WARRIOR

A few months ago my Mother was diagnosed with skull cancer. I had a very difficult time handling this news. In fact I shut down socially for weeks unable to leave my Brooklyn apartment.
I finally got myself together and took a bus upstate to see her. I was scared I would completely break down in front of her cause she was losing her hair and her head was burned from the radiation. I was concerned I would not be able to be strong out of my own fear of what she was embarking on.
When she picked me up at the bus station who I saw was not a victim or patient with cancer. In fact the opposite was true. Her shaved head and sporadic bald patches on her head made her look like a warrior.
From her I felt this overwhelming feeling of optimism and faith. I realized my Mother was a survivor. That her soul was everlasting and her heart was fierce. That she was a fighter in the true sense of the word.
This photo means a lot to me because she trusted me to take it and it captures the feeling I felt when I saw her in her first weeks of radiation treatment. That life is a state of mind and you NEVER give up no matter what challenges your faced with.
Courageous Warrior
Conquers Cancer
I see Strength
I see Heart
I see You.

By Daughter Maro.
I finally figured out how to post this Artist Statement from my lovely Daughter Maro. This is the greatest gift of truth, love, openness of the heart. I will treasure forever.

No comments: