Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Something in the Air


Pulled my bike out of the closest to take a ride to the store this morning. The Air was full of sweet smells of soaked Mother Earth. I flipped back to when I was 8 years old. A whole crew of us kids, boys and girls from the neighborhood decided to ride our bikes to an abandoned construction site on Jefferson Ave. Detroit, Michigan, down by the St. Clair River. The ride seemed forever. Then upon arriving there, a thunderous rain storm poured down on us. We just stood there looking up at this huge steel construction. We started laughing and within minutes we were ankle deep in mud. We trudged and pushed our bikes heavy under the weight of the thick mud. The trees served as an umbrella till the rain subsided, then back to the street for our ride home. We arrived home late afternoon, my dress covered in mud and soaked through. I remember feeling so Alive from the summer rain and my wondrous, exciting adventure. Whenever I smell the sweet wet Earth It triggers that summer day in 1952. Yes, that little girl is still Alive in me, through a trigger smell. haha. I never told my Mother about my adventure that day. It was a sacred experience in my life. Plus, my Mom would have freaked! Coming home full of dirt with ties hanging from my dress was a normal occurrence. What a stimulating ride this morning. Sweet Smells of Mother Earth in the corners of my mind.

No comments: