Thursday, June 28, 2007

We Had Joy, We Had Fun We Had Seasons in the Sun

Memories in the corners of my mind. An Angel in my life. I was so fortunate to have known Sandy. We were 11 ..She took me by the hand and showed me the way home from school on my first day. Hamilton Elementary in Detroit, Michigan. She brought me all my firsts. My first dance. Taught me how to swim under water so I would not drown. Taught me to ice skate, climb trees. We built our own tree house -in Chandler Park- simple park bench up in a tree so we could sit and smoke a couple of Lucky Strikes and dream sweet dreams and get high from cigs.. Horseback riding, skip school in the 6th grade to go to the state fair. She fit perfect on my handle bars on my 24 inch bike called the Nellie bell. We rode everywhere till we got old enough to drive and when her legs became to long for the bike. Our social security card was only one number different. We walked in knee deep snow for blocks wearing mit shoes so that we could get our social security cards so we could work and make money. We were 14 years old. Our first job -- Woolworths Dime Store in downtown Detroit. She worked behind the candy counter and at times you could find her sleeping underneath the counter on one of the shelves.haha. She would buy clothes and I would buy food. Our first boyfriend we shared. He was a beautiful marine named Jim Fell...he fell for us both haha. She was enchanting, funny, wise and fearless. She was my first dancing partner. She was so small I could throw her over my shoulder. She got me and I got her. We always laughed. haha.. Her tragedies were always turned into a comedy...She taught me how to love myself by loving me. My mother was her mother. Her mother was my friend. She entered me in the talent contest to do Elvis...I had no choice. She was my true friend. My buddy, my childhood dreamer. She saved me and I saved her. I am sorry I could not be there for her in our adult life but she was always there for me. When I was going through treatment for cancer, she talked to me on cassette tapes and was sure to send me one every day. I would play them on my 2 hour drive to get radiation, everyday for 6 weeks. She was my support system. We knew each other inside and out, within our hearts. We took the vow to be blood sisters by cutting our thumbs with a knife and pressing them together. Its not over Honey. I remember everything. How lucky we were to have each other. The last thing I said to her was, "please don't leave me. What will I do without you? Even though I can't see you, just knowing your there, you know?" She said, "I know." We both said I love you. Good bye my Lovely, fearless friend, until we meet again. Thank you for everything, my buddy, my blood sister. I know you will be there still singing Mr. Sandman. All the pain gone. Taking me by the hand and showing me the way home.

No comments: